Contemporary Photojournalism Issues



For this project, I wanted to highlight current issues in the United States that have great impact on everyone, while highlighting the use/misuse of A.I. in photojournalism. In previous generations, seeing was believing. This meant that pictures were undoubtedly the truthful telling of an event happening. It took such massive computing power to create false images that it was unthinkable to create a realistic false photo for dissemination. In our contemporary world, we see the rapid advancement of A.I. allowing for such an ease of access and usability that it is frequently used to manipulate photographs from all spheres. From social media, home photographs, and unfortunately some untoward photojournalists looking to further a narrative. 

In the above curated photographs, there are: citizen photos, A.I. altered photos, and bonafide photojournalism photos taken at different "No Kings" protests. I deliberately selected these photographs as this is a very current and meaningful movement with well-known backing that creates emotional response (as it should). But all of these photographs have a story within them, all of the people united for a cause that connects with them and it can be seen in their faces and felt when taking the time to digest the content. 

When looking at these photographs, try to discern which photos are real and which are fake. Then think about what photographs are taken by professional photojournalists versus citizen photographers. The differences are subtle however present. The middle square photograph is A.I. generated (unknown A.I. or prompt) and has been widely disseminated to the public. The spread of a false image happens as fast as one can blink in this age of technology, it can create loads of tension and arguments, and it can be difficult to tell a manipulated photo from one you can take from your phone when done right (far better than what I have here). Admittedly, I have found some distracting photographs to aid my challenge in profressional from citizen, however I would like to point out that the regular person who wants to document the world around them is typically not savvy enough to manipulate a photograph to the point where it no longer truthful. This does not mean it doesn't happen. 

We must always be vigilant and critical of the things we see now - it is simply our reality. We should applaud those who are truthful and assist in our curiosity of the human condition and realize that helpful tools can be used in nefarious and deceptive ways. There is a place for A.I. in photojournalism; this I am sure of. However, it will take more time to fully develop a comfortable and responible use that benefits both consumers and photojournalists alike.


Sources from left to right, top photos:

peel-back-his-lies-take-a-bite-out-of-his-bullshit-join-the-v0-1wvniu3inrwf1.jpeg- Photo by u/3rd_PartyAnonymous Taken October 2025

no-kings-protest-in-bloomington-il-v0-5p1wsf4tzxvf1.jpg - Photo by u/Not_Topanga5555 Taken October 2025

content - Co-created by ChatGPT October 2025 Prompt: "A realistic AI generated image of the American protests from October 18th against Donald trump called 'no kings day'"

Bottom Photos, left to right:

webp - Photo by Mark Mirko taken October 2025

webp - Photo by Beth LaBerge taken October 2025

webp - Photo by Brian Stevenson taken October 2025

Middle Photo:

images - Photo by unknown A.I. and widely disseminated October 2025

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal and Photojournalistic Ethics

Module 1 Blog Post - What Photojournalism Means to me

Pre Digital Photography