Book Introduction

1) How has the history of photojournalism shaped how people perceive major historical events and/or social issues?

- Photojournalism has shown the media, specifically photographs, have the power to influence and change the public perception of social issues. For example, we can look at Macus Garvey's Negro World newspaper. This paper utilized both reporting and photos to unabashedly correctly represent and celebrate a culture that was seen as "lesser than" at the time of publication. Refusing to run ads for hair straightening and skin-lightening creams, Garvey celebrated Black Culture and would frequently encourage the Black identity and self-acceptance, challenging the more dominant stereotypes. Garvey would declare "The Black skin is not a badge of shame, but rather a glorious symbol of national greatness" (Afrobella, 2009). 

Through Garvey's representation of positive portrayals of the Black identity via images and print, we can see how photojournalism redefined not only themselves, but their place in society and history. Garvey's quote, "a people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without root" (Afrobella, 2009). It is my firm belief that Garvey knew that the use of photojournalism as a medium to educate and inform about history and social consciousness would be revolutionary.

Sources:

frobella. (2009, August 17). Remembering Old Marcus Garvey. Retrieved from https://www.afrobella.com/2009/08/17/remembering-old-marcus-garvey/

2) How does studying the history of photojournalism help us understand the responsibility and impact of visual storytelling today?

-Photojournalism is more than an art, it is a commitment to responsibly portray the world as it exists. The world is seldom neutral, and the captured images often carry weight in social, cultural, or political arenas. The video In Harms Way - War Photographers: Zoriah and Alissa  shows us the sacrifice, danger, and exposure that photojournalists take in order toshow the true human element. There is a delicate balance to strike between storytelling, personal risk and ethical responsibility in order to ensure truthful recounts of events and their impact. Through the study of their journey, we can see the dedication to integrity, commitment to reality, and empathy that influences photojournalism in the name of increasing public awareness and historical documentation

Sources:

CBS News. (2011, October 28). In harm’s way – war photographers: Zoriah and Alissa [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/wjiC5YvgWzI

Photo by TJ Howell - 9/15/2025
This picture is an example of something that is not photojournalism. This picture contains little to no pertinent meaningful information other than I enjoy seltzer. This information has no bearing on the human condition, no impact on those around me, tells no story, and will not carry any significant historical or educational context. There is no "moment" here, no artistic lens, no engagement as pointed out by Professor Nordell's video. 

Photo by TJ Howell 9/13/2025

This photo shows a firefighter training on a ladder truck. Compared to the above picture, there is a person taking action, a purpose. Photojournalists take photos of verbs, of action taken by others in their raw form. Much like Eden Sparke's image, this gentleman is perfecting his craft in the pursuit of helping others in their time of need. This image shows human nature and condition and allows the viewer to wonder and question. 


I find my current relationship with news to be exhausting. Not in the sense that I over consume or am incredibly interested, but I try to avoid specific topics. I am far more interested in learn about the world around me, that is, outside of the country. I do watch international outlets such as BBC news, Reuters, and Al Jazeera. I find international reporting to be what I grew up with, a more calm and clear style, with more veracity in their reporting. Things such as international markets and foreign policy have always interested me. What interested me about this course (part of the reason I waited a year for a spot to open), was that I realized that I knew so little about the art; what it took to be a photojournalist and what the inception of the field looked like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal and Photojournalistic Ethics

Module 1 Blog Post - What Photojournalism Means to me

Pre Digital Photography